Friday 7 October 2016

Summer's Descent

It's October.
No, seriously, it's OCTOBER.

Where did the summer go? Where has the warmth gone? Why is the sun suddenly deciding to set at 6pm? I didn't have enough time! All of these thoughts fly around my brain at this time of year, I feel winter creeping up on me like a pressing weight on my chest - I'm never ready for it. In the short 20 years I have spent on this planet, I have learned that I really really don't like winter. I briefly enjoy the vibrant displays that the trees put on for us (If I can ignore the fact that this means they will be dropping soon.) The bright orange pumpkins and explosions of colour across the night sky on Bonfire Night go some way to console me, and Halloween is me in my creepy, witchy element but THAT IS IT. That's all over by mid-November and then I find myself thoroughly miserable until about May.

I don't go all gooey eyed over Christmas and I find it excrutiating when you're innocently doing your shopping, having a nice browse and WHAM, Michael Buble is cranked up and suddenly everyone is jolly and bells and whistles about Christmas - NO! It's cold, it's raining, it's depressing. Fair enough if we could all expect a thick blanket of white sparkling snow, and for the general public of the UK to actually not freak out about it, but I just feel that the UK is not the place to be at Christmas time.

So, i'm getting sidetracked by Christmas (see! it's on the brain!) when really this post is about Winter in general. I belong in the summer, where my feet are bare and my skin is brown. Where my glasses don't steam up the second i'm greeted by the whoosh of hot air from inside, where nobody has the flu. Summer is all about long hot days and blue open skies and winter is all about getting fat, depressed and staying indoors. I feel trapped at wintertime, like a puppy that hasn't had it's vaccinations and can't go outside. This is probably all very melodramatic but I can't explain what it does to me, I hate the thought of the sun setting and not really rising properly again for months.

My spirit soars under the sun, under a clear sky that stretches from blue, into pink, then into burning oranges and reds at 9.00pm, and doesn't go any darker than a deep purple until dawn at 4.30am. Winter means that the night is as black as hell and the lights are only on from about 9 till 4. Winter means damp, cold, condensation and grey days, just like this one.

I hate to be so pessimistic about it but I felt like this vent was blog worthy - just don't be offended if I choose to console myself by knocking your PSL out of your hands or strangling you with your tinsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment